In December 2009, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security added Dallas-Fort Worth to the nation’s top ten terror targets.
Just a few months earlier, a Jordanian national was arrested and eventually sentenced to 24 years in prison after federal investigators say he tried to blow up a downtown Dallas skyscraper. Authorities foiled his attempt, but the near- tragedy made it very clear that no one can predict what will happen next. The good news is that these same attacks also served to make communities and individuals more aware and improve their ability to cope with emergencies. Are you ready?
I Feel Helpless—What Can I Do?
If you see something, say something. Contact your local authorities when you see something suspicious.
Terrorists specialize in creating, well, terror. Don’t give them what they want—take action! You’ll feel much better knowing that you’re prepared for any emergency situation that comes along.
Preparing for a Terrorist Attack:
- Develop a disaster plan.
- Make sure your Emergency Supply Kit is ready.
- Identify an internal room that you can shelter in and block out contaminated air in case of a chemical or biological attack.
- In the case of a nuclear attack, your three best tools are time, distance and shielding to minimize your exposure to radioactive material.
- Check on the school emergency plan for any school-age children.
- Follow directions from officials.
- Stay alert and informed at all times!
SOURCES: FW Guide/Ready NY Guide/redcross.org
Homeland Security Advisory
The Homeland Security Advisory combines threat information with vulnerability assessments and provides communications to public safety officials and the public. For more information, visit www.dhs.gov