Caring for Those with Functional Needs
If you or someone in your household has functional needs, it’s important to incorporate them into your disaster plans. For planning assistance, contact your local emergency management office to see if your community has a Functional Needs Program.
Ways to Help Prepare for an Emergency:
- Keep 7-14 days of medication on hand. Have a list of medication taken by functional needs patient. Include dosage and medication schedule.
- Keep support items in a designated place so they can be found quickly.
- Include any caretakers in the planning process.
- Provide the power company with a list of all power-dependent life-support equipment and plan for an alternate power source in advance.
- Create an adequate emergency food supply for those with special dietary needs.
Did you know?
Many North Texas cities offer mass notifications and welfare checks for shut-ins or those with Functional needs during times of emergency. Find out if your city offers these services and get signed up if you qualify. Don’t forget to assist relatives or neighbors who may benefit from these programs as well.