West Nile virus safety tips.
The mosquito borne West Nile virus is present in North Central Texas. There are several actions that you can take to help keep your family and pets safe from this desease.
- Drain stainding water around your home. Mosquitos use stagnant water to lay their eggs, so there is a potential breeding ground wherever still water is found. Empty buckets, cans, pool covers, abandoned swimming pools, drains, flower pots, and old tires. Unclog gutters and keep bird baths and pet water dishes clean.
- Apply insect repellent on exposed skin and clothing when you go outdoors. Products that contain deet, picaridin or oil of lemon eucalyptus will reduce your chances of attracting mosquitoes.
- Wear long sleeve shirts, pants and socks when outdoors.
- Avoid outdoor activity between dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
- Fix torn or ripped door and window screens to help keep mosquitoes outside.